Sunday, September 30, 2012

1 Laie Falls








































On Saturday I went on a hike with my friend Ashley. We have been wanting to do the Laie Falls hike since we arrived in Hawaii last year, but every time we went we felt like we were on the wrong trail. There are a bunch of signs that say 'no trespassing' and 'you will be shot if trespassed' which got us thinking we were in the wrong area. We started to talk to our neighbors that have done this hike, and they all said it was good to go on and to ignore the signs. I'm so glad we did, because it was the prettiest hike I've been on (so far). We were a little unprepared for it though. We thought it was only going to take us two hours, and it ended up taking us 6 hours total.  We did end up hiking all the way to the summit, and that was why it took us so long. Hiking to Laie Falls is 4 miles up, and then from the falls to the summit is another two miles. When we got to the falls, we hung out for an hour or so, took pictures and relaxed our sore feet. (I had just got my shoes, and Ashley had on some Sperrys) Like I said, we weren't really prepared. Some say that the falls isn't worth the hike, but we thought it was awesome. Not only was the falls cool, but the views were so amazing. The farther you hike up, the better the views are. The path does get more narrow the further you go up so we had to be careful especially since it started raining on us and made the path muddy. If you slipped you may fall down the cliff off the mountain. The edge is covered by bushes, which you can see from the above photos, and one time I stepped on the bush to let someone pass me and I didn't realize it was the cliff and I slipped down a little bit. Luckily Ashley was there to grab me and everything was okay, but I could see how easy it would be to fall down. I wouldn't say it was a scary hike by any means, but you need to go one at a time instead of side by side. We loved this hike, and want to go on many more here in Hawaii. It keeps us entertained while our husbands watch golf all weekend.


1 comment: