Thursday, February 10, 2011

1 La Vida Loca

One experience that has changed my life, that really started making me the person I am today, is when I went to Mexico a couple summers ago. I went to Mexico to teach children English, and to pick up a little...okay..ALOT.. of my Spanish skills. I wanted a change, and that's exactly what I got.

Living with my grandma was awesome! Although the only way we could communicate was in Spanish, she taught me more in those 3 months, than my 3 years of Spanish class in high school. I'm a total  home body, so it was really hard on Sundays to call home and think of everyone. I learned my background of my life. How my Father grew up, and learned that my family is HUGE! and I LOVE it. I grew so much while I was there..not physically..(I wish) but spiritually.

 My friends and family who know me best, all know I wasn't in the best state of mind a few years ago. I had a lot of decisions to make, I needed to decide what road to take, which side I was going to be on. While in Mexico I learned that life isn't easy, it's not always going to be picture perfect. The World is a scary place, but with God in your heart life is pretty amazing.

Going to Mexico, I gave up my dental assisting job. I left my great roomies and apartment behind. went to a Swine Flu infected environment. gained 15 lbs. of pure delish, greased, oiled, fattie food. and had no good communication skills, and had little money in my bank account. But leaving Mexico, beside the weight gain..I gained a testimony, guitar skills, family members, friendships, dance moves, cooking skills, Spanish, gratitude, memories, and I was HAPPY. really. really. happy:) which, back then... didn't happen very much. I love the good USA, I'm grateful for my father and his sacrifice in raising me here, but Mexico changed me, and I'll always remember and be grateful for that.


Meanwhile, Colten Jay had just returned home from serving his Mission in Tacoma Washington, Spanish speaking. Coincidence... I think not:)










1 comment:

  1. You will have to teach Bill to make tortillas. We have tried before but he would love to know the "real" way!!!!

    ReplyDelete